Monday, August 28, 2006

Oy Is This a Schmuck

Jackie Mason filed a lawsuit against Jews for Jesus for using his name and likeness in a pamphlet.
The $2 million lawsuit seeks the immediate destruction of the pamphlet, which members of the missionary group have been handing out at various points around New York City.
"While I have the utmost respect for people who practice the Christian faith, the fact is, as everyone knows, I am as Jewish as a matzo ball or kosher salami," the 75-year-old comedian said in documents filed in state Supreme Court in Manhattan.
Founded in the 1970s, Jews for Jesus practices Judaism but regards Jesus as the Messiah.
The pamphlets feature an image of Mason next to the words "Jackie Mason ... A Jew for Jesus!?" with information inside that outlines the similarities between Jews and Christians.
"The pamphlet uses my name, my likeness, my 'shtick' (if you will), and my very act, which is derived from my personality, to attract attention and converts," Mason said in an affidavit.
Susan Perlman, a spokeswoman for Jews for Jesus, said the pamphlet was "good-natured."
"Shame on him for getting so upset about this," she said Friday.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Paul love logic:
A) We call people that believe Jesus was the Messiah, Christians, Catholics etc.
B) We call people that are still waiting for the Messiah Jews.

How can you combine A and B?