Sunday, October 29, 2006

Any Consolation?

Shawn aka Jems, sent me an e-mail expressing satisfaction that the Cardinals went on to win the World Series:

"To me, the Cardinals proved that when they're ON they ARE a good baseball team. I feel less like we flopped more like they won now. That Tiger team stormed through the AL at a 7-1 pace, which Yankee fans and even Mets fans concede is far superior to the NL. The Cardinals did play 6 weeks without Pujols early in the season, and were on pace to win 92 games or so prior to completely flopping in September.

Additionally, the Mets series now becomes a part of the story. It will be included in the folklore of this season. The Endy catch will get recognized in history, as highlights will show how the Cards bounced back from that and still won. If the Tigers won, no one even remembers the Mets made the playoffs or pushed it to 7 games. We go down as the stiffest competition they faced."


I disagree with this. It leaves an even worse taste in my mouth because I know we should have beaten the Cardinals and could have beaten the Tigers. Going in we thought the Tigers were invincible and on some magic carpet ride. Instead it seemed they were gassed and their hitters were exposed. The Cardinals are arguably the worst World Series Champion of all time (they have the worst regular season record, I believe). Because I feel the Mets should have beaten them, the fact that they won it all makes me feel even worse.

In terms Shawn can understand: Some guy makes a stupid call and outdraws you to knock you out of a poker tournament. He ends up winning the whole thing. Does that mean he's actually better than you thought he was? Or does it mean that if you could have gotten that one card, maybe you could have won?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Weaver, Suppan, Carpenter, and Wainright all continued to pitch at a high level. So I don't think our bats were sleeping anymore. I think these guys stepped up their game.