Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Guess Who Eats Together at the Carnegie Deli

Met an old friend for lunch yesterday. Brian Cohen aka BC, the man who lived with me for the first two years of college was staying in Manhattan so I walked over to his hotel, which was only a couple blocks from the Carnegie Deli.
Nothing like a couple Jews enjoying smoked meats (he had the corned beef, I had the roast beef). He prefers the light green pickles, I like the dark green. And when the bill game to $35, he offered me the $18. He is the perfect lunch companion.
Unfortunately, as we have gotten older and moved geographically father away we haven't kept in touch all that well (but he is an avid "Poop" reader so we're not completely disconnected).
We talked about work, our wives, our houses, balding and how old we're getting now that we are talking about our wives, our houses and balding. When we meet for lunch again in a few years I anticipate a spirited discussion of our swollen prostates.
We also discussed our considerable weight gain, as we've put on close to 100 pounds combined since our college days.
The weather was great so I decided to walk to Penn Station and he had some time before his meeting so we walked downtown.
At about 50th street, BC exclaims "there's Gilbert Gottfried." I whip my ahead around (almost get poked in the eye by some guy handing out pamphlets) but wouldn't you know it, there was Gilbert, the voice of the AFLAC duck.
At 34th Street we said our goodbyes and vowed to stay in touch. But you know the mark of a good friend is someone who you may not see for a few months, but when you do it's like you're still sitting in Booth Hall cursing Pete Thamel and watching Conan.

1 comment:

Derek said...

I can only hope the word "Jewchadores" made it somewhere in the reunion lunch.

BC also won our first ever fantasy football league.

Give him my best!