Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Knicks Season Preview

The 2007-2008 Knicks should be better than they were the past two years. Zach Randolph and Eddy Curry can provide a great lowpost duo. Stephon Marbury and Jamal Crawford can provide instant offense. David Lee and Renaldo Balkman can provide energy, intangibles and rebounds. But I cannot provide my support.

I won't root for another team (though I will follow the Nuggets), but I can't actively root for this team. The star player (still Marbury) is a jerk who coerces younger women into sex, condones dogfighting and makes drunken TV appearances.

The general manager and coach sexually harrassed an executive and ran the team into the ground. He has not been held accountable for either action.

And the team's owner is a spoiled rich kid whose idiocy is surpassed only by his arrogance. He has an employee who is the public face of his franchise and cost the team $8.6 million and the owner personally $3 million and he's terrible at his job. Yet Dolan refuses to fire this individual.

David Stern said the Knicks "were not a model of intelligent management," which is the understatement of the year.

I love the Knicks and the Knicks will always have my loyalty. But the passion I felt during the 1994 run and especially during the magical 1999 run ("Houston, Sprewell, fuhgeddaboutit!") has waned dramatically. When Marbury and Isiah are gone I will throw the team my full support again. But as for this year, I'll pay attention, I may watch a few games if nothing else is on, or if they're playing someone good, and I'll uphold my Martin Luther King Day tradition with The Concierge, but I won't live and die with this team as I usually do.

No comments: