Tuesday, November 13, 2007

How I Met Your Mother "Spoiler Alert"

I'm actually kind of pissed that I didn't decide to follow this episode with a running diary because it was pure genius. I loved the premise, I loved the jokes, I loved everything about it.

But I will say there were a couple parts that hit a little too close to home.

The episode started with Ted saying how much he likes his new girlfriend (played by Lindsay Price). You may recognize her from the American version of "Coupling" or from "Beverly Hills, 90210" when she was married to Steve Sanders. But because Price is half-Asian and neither me nor those kids whom Bob Saget is talking to is a quarter-Asian, I knew she was not my mother.

But what makes this particular episode so genius is the fact that all the little things they didn't like about each other are genuine scenarios.

Before I go on let me first say that I don't think a dog pooping on a baby is funny. I love dogs, I love babies and I love poop, but not all three at the same time. I hope I never see a video like that, or see it happen in real life.

Back to the show. I think everyone has a friend whose girlfriend or wife talks too much. You wonder if he doesn't notice or doesn't care. And unlike in the show in real life you can't say anything because there are no glass-breaking sound effects and immediate recognition.

But that was just an appetizer, the real humor started when the gang started discussing each other's pecadilloes.
Mrs. Poop frequently complains that I chew too loudly, but what does she expect when I'm chomping on Nerds, pretzels and jello.



I loved all the similies, metaphors and analogies used to describe Lilly's chewing:

"sounded like Jurassic Park"
"what's in that cereal besides dry twigs and small animal bones?"
"sounds like a garbage disposal full of dry wall screws"
"sounds slightly like someone put a screwdriver in a pencil sharpener, but in a cute way"
"what are you eating gravel?"
"sounds like cuff links going up a vacuum cleaner"

And the correcting, that is something I knowingly and willingly do and the literally/figuratively mistake is one of my favorites to point out.

it figuratively blew your mind

The ensuing scene pointing out every annoying things each person does was so freakin funny, I literally died laughing.

Robin uses literally too often. "Don't they teach vocabulary in Canada." "They literally don't"

Marshall singing what he does all the time. (Mrs. Poop admitted to doing this one but claimed it was only because she wants to keep Chase entertained.) "my laundry and a roll of quarters."

Barney speaks in a high voice, uses lame catchphrases (awesome and legen...waitforit...dery are not lame) and spaces out. "I'm sorry what?"

awe-some

"Lawsuit Up!"

That was kind of fucked up for Ted to ruin Kathy for the deaf guy.

All in all a brilliant episode. I give it a 9.1. The new best episode of the season.

And guess what? Next week is Slapsgiving!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, this was a great one. Special K and I were rollin big time.

Anonymous said...

Slapsgiving?! That's great!!!!

This was by far one of the best episodes of the season. Wonder why some episodes are meh, while others are great? Could it have to do with the individual writers?

Anonymous said...

By the way, my favorite part of last night's episode was when Marshall was singing about how he was using the address labels from a charity that the never gave money to. Many of us (ME) are guilty of doing that!!!

Anonymous said...

well this episode i think one of the most hilarious for me just to watch such kind of episodes i love to watch how i met your mother regularly and i think it rocks.