Friday, January 11, 2008

Weekly Picks

I did well last week but didn't pick up any ground. I have to go 3 for 3 on best bets over the next 3 weeks to win any cash at all. How I do on the other 4 games (3 this week, 1 next week) will determine how much cash, but I absolutely positively have to hit the best bet. Also, my normal strategy in the playoffs is to take all 4 favorites, hope 3 of them hit and that I get my best bet. This week I'm doing 2 and 2, which could pay off, but if it goes 1 and 3, and I've got the wrong 2, I'm fucked.

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS -13 jacksonville jaguars
I'm sorry but I just am not hitching a ride on the Jaguars bandwagon. In a week when all the spreads are more than a touchdown this spread looks infinitesimal to me. I think people have forgotten that the Patriots are the best team of all time, just because they've had a few close games. The fact is this team is built to destroy, like Ivan Drago. And these are the playoffs. I fully expect an old-fashioned as skicking, and by old-fashioned I mean from the first two months of the season.

san diego chargers +8 INDIANAPOLIS COLTS
Yes the loss of Antonio Gates (who's still questionable) will hurt the Chargers but I think people are forgetting that other than in the passing game (QB, receivers) the Chargers have way more talent than the Colts do. I've been burned many times by a Chargers team that just can't seem to put it all together, but with more than a touchdown in play, I have to stick with them as my upset special.

new york giants +7 1/2 DALLAS COWBOYS
The Cowboys have already beaten the Giants twice this season, and by my logic and past history, that would make it likely that they would win again. But history also shows that sometimes teams that have lost twice do rebound in game 3. And for that to happen you'd think they would have played at least once early in the season, then the two teams starting going in opposite directions, plus a big injury to the previous winner and some outside distractions and you've got a team that could lose the third game. And that's exactly what we have here. The Giants are playing better lately, the Cowboys are playing worse, TO is hut and Romo is thinking about Jessica Simpson in a bikini. Ok that last one doesn't matter but the other factors make me pick the Giants with the points.

GREEN BAY PACKERS -7 1/2 seattle seahawks
I think the Seahawks are just a little faster lion in the jungle than the Tampa Bay Bucs were. I know they won by 21 last week but they were trailing with 9 minutes to go, and they should have been trailing by at least 4. The key will be how the game starts. If the Seahawks can run the ball they have a chance but if Shaun Alexander is turtling at the end of every short run (he turns his back into hits) and the Seahawks get in a lot of 3rd and longs, I think the Packers can force Hasselbeck into mistakes. Plus I have this faith in Favre that he will not let them lose this game.

No comments: