Tuesday, January 08, 2008

So Hard To Say Good-Bye

Joe Gibbs just resigned as coach of the Washington Redskins.
As angry as I have been with his conservative play calling this season I do not want him to leave.
I still think he is a great coach who does an excellent job preparing his players for Sunday.
Sometimes on Sunday, or in this case Saturday, I question his game management, but I still believe the Redskins are far worse off without him.
As I've said many times I love Coach Gibbs, he's by far my favorite coach or manager any time of mine has ever had.
I have no idea who the Redskins can get to replace him but I'm sure he won't be as good a man, or as good a coach as Coach Gibbs.

Coach Gibbs, thanks for the three Super Bowls, sorry it had to end like this, love always, Paul

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

if synder wants to over pay which he likes to do he can cowher...otherwise they should make a play for garett if you want more aggressive play calling

Scott said...

Gibbs '81-'92: 124-60, 6 NFC East titles, 16-5 playoff record, 3 Super Bowl wins

Gibbs '04-'07: 30-34, 0 NFC East titles, 1-2 playoff record, 0 Super Bowls

What I saw was an old man out of touch with today's NFL, who didn't know the rules, couldn't have put a more boring offense on the field, and basically oversaw a team that never rose above mediocrity, even though in some cases, the personnel dictated they should be better.

The best thing about this latter run is the way he held the team together after Sean Taylor's death.

Otherwise, I see nothing but proof that it's time for him to go be the legend that he is, and get a more creative mind to run the team (hint: it ain't Gregg Williams).

Snyder needs to stop trying to please the fanbase (Russ Grimm? No.) and make a smart decision for once. Bill Cowher isn't the answer, and I'd stay away from Brian Billick too (but I bet he gets the job).

I would take a chance on Jason Garrett, he just seems to "get it" and many say he's reason for Dallas's success this year.

Josh said...

You have to consider team chemistry in the decision to hire a head coach. No, Cowher and Grimm are not the answers, but I don't think Garrett is either. The team loves Gregg Williams and wants him to be the next head coach. If Snyder brings in somebody like Garrett, he better get the veteran players behind it first. If Gibbs is truly staying on as a consultant, he's going to want the position to be kept in house. The offense wasn't conservative towards the end of the season and I think a lot of the play selection had to do with Gibbs. I think if Williams is the head coach and they keep Saunders on as offensive coordinator, the Skins will continue to evolve towards how Kansas City was during the Saunders era when they were the highest scoring team in the league. Garrett would be great but the team will take a huge step back while they learn another new offense and lose their defensive coordinator.