Thursday, June 05, 2008

Rock War

Apparently there is a growing rivalry among competitive air guitarists and Guitar Hero enthusiasts.
The whole thing was made up by the Boston Herald, but they did fabricate some pretty good quotes.

“There is no rivalry between air guitar aficionados and the weaklings who play ‘Guitar Hero,’ ” sniffed returning Boston air guitar champ Erin McNally, who competes under the name McNallica. “They have a plastic toy with buttons. I can do so much more with my guitar than they can do. My high-note slaying solos - they can’t do that. They are limited in their rocking abilities.”

“Everyone hates mimes and that’s all they really are,” says Brian Shandra who builds his own Guitar Hero instruments.. “Rock ’n’ roll mimes.”

Air Guitar competitor Lee Becker says “we are performance artists. I don’t know how to play real guitar, but that’s not relevant to my air guitar greatness. I’ve been told that I have a rock star ass. I will be sporting a pair of tight jeans and I plan lots of pelvic thrusts and air humps.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually went to the US Air Guitar regionals in Manhattan this week and it was surprisingly ... awesome.

Jason Jones of The Daily Show was a judge. My favorite quote - "my charge here is to choose one winner among a group of losers."

Anonymous said...

This story was not made up. I can certify that the quotes from B. Shandra are real since that's me. I didn't go to the air guitar competition and frankly think the whole "rivalry" thing is a bit tongue in cheek and ridiculous. But it's all just in good fun.
By the way, I don't appreciate the tags you put on this story.