Thursday, September 18, 2008

Tony Kornheiser Forced to Apologize By the Political Correctness Police

In celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month, Monday Night Football aired the Spanish announcers' call of Felix Jones's punt return touchdown. While translating, Tony Kornheiser said something that worried the oversensitive tightasses at ESPN.



First of all, Kornheiser's translation was near-perfect (except for leaving out that "el novato de arkansas" means "the rookie from Arkansas"). I think he threw the "dry-cleaning" line in there to be somewhat self-deprecating and I can't see how anyone could find that offensive. Did someone think he was mocking the language somehow? I really have no idea. In fact, I doubt there was one actual complaint, I think a tightass producer was worried someone would complain, so he asked Tony to apologize preemptively.

No comments: