Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Chef Paul Cooks Buffalo Wings

This winter I'm planning to make one new dish or meal every week, usually Fridays when I have the most time. The first I tried was Buffalo Chicken wings.

The wings were a challenge, because for some reason kosher chicken wings tend to have a lot of feathers, so they were a little hard to clean. Also, frying them would be a little too difficult, so we coated them in flour and baked them.

The sauce was a lot more fun to make. I started with several ounces of Frank's Hot Sauce then added some other ingredients including cayenne pepper and tabasco. At first, it didn't look that great but as it simmered in the pot and the margarine melted, it began to look and smell like real restaurant quality hot sauce.

And it tasted like it too. It wasn't particularly hot (I commented that it wouldn't have been hot enough for PPD, Mrs. Poop said she still wasn't going to rub her eyes) but that's the way we like it. It would be fairly easy to make the sauce hotter by adding more of certain ingredients.

I give our sauce an A.
Our wings a B.
The experience definitely got an A as well, because Mrs. Poop was so happy with me.
But maybe next time I will get chicken cutlets and try to make Buffalo Chicken tenders.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

a dash of brown sugar is a nice ingredient there. I've made my own hot sauce before and it is fun. I've never made the wings but have made the tenders. Rolling them in the sauce and then smearing them with blue cheese is a man's man meal.

Anonymous said...

If you're not going to fry the wings, then steam them for 10 minutes, before baking. No flour or anything. It basically shrinks the skin, and makes them nice and tight.

I've made it with and without this method, and it makes a tremendous difference.

Paul said...

These are exactly the kind of tips I was hoping for. Thanks brosephs.
TON, does steaming reduce cooking time? If so, by how much.
Also I forgot to mention that I excitedly bought blue cheese (I hate it, but Mrs. Poop loves it) and I was so pleased with my thoughtfulness that I completely forgot that chicken wings and blue cheese cannot be served together in a kosher home.
So she had to suffer with undipped celery sticks.