Monday, October 13, 2008

This Is My Life

I love sports, I love the Mets, the Redskins, the Knicks and Syracuse. And it seems they always let me down.
Syracuse's 2003 National Championship was a blessing, an unexpected gift given to me by shooting star whose stay was so short we didn't even have time to think of a repeat.
But other than that one glorious moment (a moment I do not take for granted, believe me), none of my teams has won a title in more than 15 years, roughly my entire adult life.
But it's not just that they don't win, it's how they don't win. They are often expected to, they often make me believe they will, but they never do.
The Redskins loss to the Rams is a perfect example. I can't remember a time when I was more confident entering a game.
And the Redskins started off ok, overcoming mistakes to have a 7-3 lead, and the ball in the red zone at the end of the half. But wait, an offensive lineman catches a tipped pass, tries to run with it and fumbles, leading to a touchdown for the Rams.
Instead of a 10-3 lead, they now trail 10-7, but I think they can still win.
But two more field goals for the Rams put the Skins down 2 scores, and I thought it was over.
Until they scored a touchdown with less than 4 minutes to go to take the lead, that's when I thought they dodged a bullet.
But as the Rams moved the ball, I got worried again.
But on 3rd and 12, I was sure the Redskins could stop them.
But the Rams threw a 43-yard pass to put the Rams in field goal range, it's over.
But the play was reviewed, bringing hope.
Unfortunately it was upheld and the game was over again.
But wait, Rams lineman Richie Incognito gets a 15-yard penalty making it a long field goal.
But it's good, and the Redskins lose to the worst team in the NFL.
But they're still 4-2 with the Browns and Lions coming up!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about Ohio State. Oh, whoops, they suck too.

Paul said...

The Ohio State is just a team I adopted to keep college football interesting because Syracuse is so bad. It would be an insult to true Ohio State supporters to call myself one.
Also my allegiance is so strong to my other teams I can't possibly compare Ohio State to them.
But Ohio State is going to kick your ass on October 25th, the 22nd anniversary of the last great day of my sports fan life.
Go Bucks!

Anonymous said...

Going to kick our ass? Let me introduce you a concept the Suckeyes are about to become real familiar with:

THE SPREAD HD

You too, Focks - nice seeing Braylon Edwards wearing a PSU shirt on the sidelines tonight. What the hell was that about?