Thursday, November 27, 2008

A Lot to be Thankful For

Admittedly, things haven't exactly gone my way lately but I would be missing the point -- of life, and especially of Thanksgiving -- if I didn't take this time to be thankful for all the things I do have.

Most of all, I'm thankful for Chase. I can't describe how great it is to have someone around who is happy 100% of the time and can always do something to make you laugh or smile. With his buck-toothed smile, or his rudmentary command of the English language (dog, duck and book all sound the same) or especially a sneeze, the simplest things are the source of great laughter. And for that I am thankful.

I'm thankful for Diesel. My best friend, who can sometimes be a huge pain in the ass (but best friends are like that). I could hardly find a better walking, game-watching companion than that lovable black beast. Sure, I wish he were better behaved, but the point of this holiday is to be thankful for what we do have, not regretful about what we don't. Also, I can't imagine too many other dogs who would tolerate so placidly Chase's constant attacks with toy shopping carts, wagons, drumsticks and anything else Chase can find. And all Diesel does is give out a low growl, then get up and walk away. And for that I am thankful.

I'm thankful for my three beautiful nieces. The chatty one, the high-energy one, and the little one who isn't even old enough to have a personality. Few things are more enjoyable than hearing Cayla squeal when Diesel barks into the phone, or seeing Jenna running around like a crazy person. And now we have Lyla, who I'm sure is going to be just as fun as the other two. And for that I am thankful.

I'm thankful for the Mets. Sure, they drive us crazy by losing all the time, usually in spectacular fashion, but nothing brings a father and son together like a baseball team. And now that I've got my own son, the special feeling it gives me to see him wearing Mets clothes, to high-five him when the Mets score, and eventually to take him to his first game, those are things that wouldn't be in my life without the Mets. And for that I am thankful.

I'm thankful for my parents, in-laws and brothers and sisters. Family get-togethers have been a lot more fun recently, now that we have a bunch of kids running around. And one of the most special times of this past year was our family trip to Baltimore.

I'm thankful for all my friends or as you are known, The Poopheads. My life is a lot more enjoyable because I get to share it with all of you. And for that I am thankful.

But of course most importantly, I am thankful for Mrs. Poop. Without her none of the other things (especially Chase and Diesel) would be possible. No matter how bad things get she loves me unconditionally. Whether I'm being sad, mad, crazy, up or down, she's always there to encourage me there's nothing we can't get through together. And I believe her. There is no doubt in my mind that we'll have another 50 Thanksgivings together. And for that I am thankful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Turkey Day and thanks for keeping going with this blog - it's a great read and a great way to keep in touch with other poopheads.

Anonymous said...

syracuse sucks!!!!!