Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Some Syracuse Thoughts

Things I thought while watching Syracuse beat Kansas 89-81 in overtime.

Too bad Bill Raftery wasn't calling this game because that Flynn shot would have gotten an "ONIONS!"

That really was a game-winning shot. They would have lost without it.

I loved that when they got a 6 point lead in overtime they attacked the basket and tried to score instead of killing the clock and getting an empty possession.

The team will be much better this year. Andy Rautins's outside shooting adds a key dimension to the offense. But the biggest difference is Devendorf. He can steady the team when they're starting to turn the ball over and he hits big shots and penetrates and dishes at the right time.

I'm so relieved Boeheim seems more willing to play man defense this season. I've always said the 2-3 defense is fine, but in certain circumstances you need to change things up. Just to throw off the other team, or to create matchup problems, or to slow down a hot outside shooter, you need another defense for a change of pace. I've been shouting this since Howard Triche was in short pants. Now Dick Vitale agrees with me, and Boeheim seems to also. Boeheim even credited the man defense for turning the game around. Something to remember when they get down 13 later in the season.

I wish Dick Vitale wouldn't choose crucial moments of the game to talk about his all-diaper dandy team, or his pregame conversation with Robert Montgomery Knight.

But I do agree with him that Arinze Onuaku needs to be a bigger part of the offense.

Dan Schulman has an unusual understanding of handshake. When the referee counseled Flynn and Collins during a timeout, he said they "shook hands" but really they patted each other on the ass. I hope I never run into him on the receiving line at a wedding.

I think a lot of the problems SU had were created by Kansas's good defense.

They still need to work on their free throw shooting.

I really like this team and unless Florida really falls off and has a horrible season, these early tough games (and the tough conference schedule) will really help SU on Selection Sunday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i hate syracuse

Paul said...

VW, your mother's a hoya.

Anonymous said...

lol I wish. she went to SUNY Albany.