Thursday, June 11, 2009

I Always Know Better

Several months ago I suggested the UFC should offer Kimbo Slice a one-fight deal. I felt it was a no-lose situation for them, either Kimbo is proven a fraud or they get a decent fighter with huge name recognition.
Supposedly smart MMA fans (SCZA & TON) said it was a bad idea that would never happen and should never happen.
But Dana White listened and offered Kimbo a spot on The Ultimate Fighter, and amazingly Kimbo has accepted.
Kimbo will be among the fighters on TUF 10 coached by Rampage Jackson and Rashad Evans. Kimbo just sort of belongs on Rampage's team, doesn't he?
Unfortunately for Kimbo, it's his ground game that needs work (and his conditioning) and he's unlikely to learn that from either of those two guys.
I've been rooting for Kimbo all along, I like him, I like his story, I like his beard, and his appearance on the EliteXC card is the main reason I started to get into UFC. So I hope he does well (would suck if he didn't even win his way onto the show) and at least earns himself some UFC fights in the future.

what the fuck is up with Kimbo's belly button?

2 comments:

ton said...

This whole thing has sort of made me realize that none of the previous crap with Kimbo was his fault.

The dude likes to fight, and just kept fighting when he had the chance. It was the other douches who mistakenly touted him as the biggest star of MMA etc.

The fact that he's willing to try out for T.U.F., and potentially look bad, proves to me that he really does want it.

Dan Wetzel wrote a good article about this for Yahoo sports

Josh said...

He doesn't have to fight his way on the show. They aren't doing that this season. They originally were doing heavyweights and lightweights but when Kimbo accepted they ditched the lightweights so they need all the heavyweights to have a full cast. Plus, the coaches will be instructed to make sure the Kimbo fights last so he spends as much time in the house and they can hype "Will next episode be the time Kimbo fights?" every week. Its smart for both White and Kimbo. They haven't done heavyweights since season one cause they are usually terrible.