Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Hockey Impostor

Some crazed fan jumped on the ice during a Montreal Canadiens practice.
The Canadiens practice at the suburban arena when Bell Centre is unavailable. That was the case this time because of a Rolling Stones concert. About 15 to 20 fans, mostly kids, were on there.
The man had spent most of the practice sitting in the seats in hockey gear. Winger Alex Kovalev wondered if he was a player waiting to go on after the Canadiens practice. Then the man moved down next to the boards, tightened his skate laces and jumped on the ice.
He tried to score on goalie Jose Theodore.
"I didn't really know what was going on until the guy came on," a grinning Theodore said. "He came at me with his head down so I just wanted to say 'Welcome to the big boys.' I poke-checked him to say, `You have to keep your head up.' When he came back, I thought about going out of the net and not playing into his game, but then I thought he had the [courage] to go on the ice, so I let him have a free shot at me."
"He couldn't beat me. That's the main thing."
The man said he could have scored but didn't have enough time.
This would have been much cooler if it happened in a sport people cared about

No comments: