Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Starting Defense! Place at the Table!

Finally, one of my favorite movies gets some respect. In a Sports Illustrated poll of 357 NFL Players, The Program was the overwhelming choice as all-time favorite football movie.
I feel vindicated because for years critics have panned the movie in favor of sappy crap like Rudy and Remember the Titans.
But when it comes to capturing what really goes on in a major university's college football program, I believe the Program to have been very accurate. I'm sure all those things happen, probably not at the same school in the same year, but they happen.
Please use the comments section to discuss your favorite parts of the movie, except for you Harley. Normally I hope we have as many posters as possible but I don't want any of Harley's Hollywood crap.

This happens right before the now famous sit on the highway deleted scene.  Sobel and I actually saw it in the theater on opening night before that scene was deleted.  Some day they will release a DVD with special features that includes that scene.  And kids will get killed by sitting on the highway again, Social Darwinism.
I no longer wish to be cast in a pejorative light so I've dedicated myself to achieving on a level more commensurate with my abilities

8 comments:

Bill said...

Darnell Jefferson tailback.
Ray Griffin, starting tailback.
I know, that's why they got me.

When's the last time 50 thousand people showed up to watch a kid do a god damn chemistry experiment? Why don't you stick the bow-tie up your ass!

Anonymous said...

Alvin Mack: Let's open up a can of kick ass and kill 'em all, let the paramedics sort 'em out.


Alvin Mack: Hey Bud is it true, Joe's out four fuckin' games?
Bud-Lite Kaminski: Yea.
Alvin Mack: Shit, defense is gonna have to pitch shut-outs now...
[to Lattimer]
Alvin Mack: And you're gone for three? What the hell did you take that shit for?!
Steve Lattimer: Nobody seemed to mind when I was laying people out!
Alvin Mack: Sh*t, I bust chops too, you don't see me all fu**ed up!
Steve Lattimer: Not everybody has your ability Alvin, you do what you do to play!
Alvin Mack: Well you ain't playin much now are ya?


Alvin Mack: All you need to know is how to sign an NFL contract...period.
Darnell Jefferson: I know man but I promised the Rev. I'd get a degree, I don't wanna let him down.
Alvin Mack: Whatchu think nigga...you gonna be on the supreme court?

Anonymous said...

Let's put the women and children to bed and go lookin' for dinner!

Anonymous said...

This movie inspired me. Not everyone has Alvin's ability. But you do what you gotta do to play. Think about how many times you've heard that over the past few years when marginal players tested positive for steroids. That's what makes this movie so great, it's real. More real than anything you fuckin got.

Mike said...

Welcome to the jungle baby playing in the background. Axl Rose RULES!!!

Anonymous said...

Kristy Swanson with dark hair was one of the few things that didn't work too well for me.

When can we start the Varsity Blues thread?

D said...

Friends and I would have seen it opening night, but we had a game. So we settled for the next day. Still got to see the traffic scene. Some people don't even believe me when I tell them about it if they saw it after it was removed.

Ding motherfucking dong!

Paul said...

Derek from Statesboro, Georgia loves to ring that championship bell.

Mike loves seeing Joey Lauren Adams in Vegas. He must have said "Bobby Collins?!?!?!" in an exasperated voice about 1000 times after that.