Thursday, January 05, 2006

Seo Long

I'm sad to see the Mets trade Jae Seo. I think he had a really promising future as a starter. He was 8-2 with a 2.59 ERA last year. He outdueled Greg Maddux at Shea when I went to the game with Adam, Andy and Todd. He pitched so well and allowed so few hits that I didn't win one single put in the horrendous "cup game." Three weeks after that I saw him pitch poorly against Philly but the great Ramon Castro bailed him out with a 3 run homer off Urbina in the 9th. Seo also pitched great on my wedding day, in the middle of an awful skid for the Mets.
Back in 2003, when he was 5-2 with a 2.66 ERA in the end of June, I recommended that he be the Mets representative in the All-Star game, and offered to trade our Jay So(bel) for him.
I wish him well and hope Duaner Sanchez becomes a reliable reliever for us. I understand that we had surplus starting pitching and need bullpen help. Maybe this move will clear the way for Heilman to move into the rotation. I also predict Justin will love Steve Schmoll if only because it reminds him of Steve Schnall.
Thanks for the memories Jae

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Two comments.
1. Seo is the most unknown of all the pitchers. So while we gave up potential upside, we gave up potential downside too. Personally, i think last year was an anomoly.
2. When did Heilman become a superstar? he wants to start, trade him to TB so he can toil away in obscurity.

He's a jerk-off and he's replaced Joe McEwing as the object of my booing at Shea.