Friday, April 28, 2006

Mets 5 Braves 2

Big win to get the series off to the right start in Turner Field where the Mets never win.

Pedro is awesome. I know he is usually good for one home run each start but as long as he leaves the game with a lead, that's all you can ever ask from your starting pitcher.

Duaner Sanchez is equally awesome. The guy has been near perfect all season.

A rough save for Billy Wagner, but all that matters is that he gets the save. I know there were runners on base and he hit Andruw Jones, but Diaz and Pratt were completely overmatched. I always felt like the Mets were always bringing up hitters like that against other teams closers, but with Franco, Benitez, Looper, etc I never felt that we had one of those guys.

Chipper Jones is a Met killer. I think they said one time that the only person who has hit more home runs against the Mets than Chipper is Willie Stargell, coincidentally I wore my Stargell jersey today.

Jeff Francoeur is the type of player I might love if he weren't on the Braves. When I first fell in love with Vladimir Guerrero it was because of his free swinging and his incredible arm. Francoeuer made two throws tonight, one to third, one home, both were awesome.

Jose Reyes is starting to become an excellent leadoff man. He's on pace to walk about 50 times this year which isn't so bad. Gary Cohen keeps mentioning that he scores about two thirds of the times he reaches base. That proves that he is a huge key to any success this team will have this year.

Endy Chavez is starting to remind me of Willie Mays Hayes. He's playing better, dragging bunts and using his speed.

This may sound weird coming after a two home run game but I am worried about David Wright turning into Piazza. Of course there are huge expectations for him and the fans love him but so far this year 4 of his 5 homers are solo and the other came with a man on first. Tonight he hit two solo home runs and twice he came up with two men on and 1 out, and he hit a sac fly (which is fine) but he also struck out. He also continues to make bad errors at crucial situations. I love him still, but I'm starting to worry.

Classy move by the redneck Braves fans to give Julio Franco such a warm reception.

Hopefully they can get at least one of the next two games and put this Turner Field shit to bed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paul,

Don't worry about David Wright. He'll be just fine...

Scott said...

Fucking Dish screwed me again. Recorded the game last night, came home and saw that for four hours I recorded the Extra Innings slate. No game. Bastards. Tonight its on TBS, which means I can see it at work. Still, no Pedro.