Tuesday, May 30, 2006

At Last(ings)

"At Last(ings), my love has come along. My lonely days are over, and life is like a song." - Etta James

"I know how a woman in labor feels, waiting nine months for that baby to come. And, boy did that baby come. She was a big one, wasn't she?" - Deion Sanders, after a rough first month as a Redskin (back in 2000) on his punt return in overtime that set up the game winning field goal.

Many Mets fans probably can relate to both these quotes today. The Mets have called up top outfield prospect Lastings Milledge. Xavier Nady was placed on the 15-day DL after undergoing an appendectomy this morning.

I'm really surprised the Mets did this because I would have thought Willie would like to use the opportunity to get some of his bench players like Endy Chavez, who's been great, into the lineup.

I hope they didn't call Milledge up here to sit on the bench and occassionally pinch run for the next two weeks.

Milledge, 21, was batting .291 (53-for-182) with 32 runs scored, 16 doubles, two triples, four home runs, 19 RBIs and eight stolen bases in 50 games for the Norfolk Tides.

No comments: