Thursday, June 01, 2006

I Love Baseball Cards

I have always loved and enjoyed collecting baseball cards. So much of it appeals to me, putting them in order, collecting sets or players, trying to buy the rookie cards of up and coming young players. For a time in my teens we sold cards at shows, but that became onerous for my dad once I went off to college. Now I simply buy a few boxes each summer.
My preferred brand is Bowman (Home of the Rookie Card). But new major league rules prohibit companies from making cards of players who have yet to play in the bigs. That will effectively kill the panache of Bowman which previously made a set with like 165 unknown minor leaguers, hoping that a few of them would become big stars.
The joy for me was each year buying cards, putting them in order and putting them away. Then, several years later a player emerges and you go downstairs and voila you find that you have 5 Jonny Gomes rookies (or something to that effect).
In the coming months, I will be sharing more about my hobby and more about my collection specifically.

No comments: