Sunday, March 11, 2007

Bubble Burst

Syracuse got left out of the NCAA tournament.
I must say I am surprised, but not shocked. The team just wasn't very good this year.
They didn't play a strong schedule (Wichita State, Oklahoma State & Drexel all beat us and all missed the tournament. Even in the conference SU was 1-4 against the top 4 teams (Georgetown, Louisville, Pitt & Notre Dame) so that's 10-2 against the bottom part of the conference.
I still think SU should have been in but Texas Tech and Stanford are not the arguments.
If you want to compare teams look at Arkansas, Illinois and Old Dominion.
I also want to answer my critics, namely Pizza Parlor Derek who called me out as a contrarian. As a matter of fact I said SU would get in once West Virginia lost, so I was sort of wrong on that. But the last two years I also was criticized as being negative for argument's sake, when I said Vermont and Texas ATM would beat SU.
And we all know how that worked out.
I don't try to go against the grain, I just try to figure out what's going to happen.

One final note, SU had a lot of chances to win more games and as probably the last team out one more victory (against Wichita State, or Villanova, or Drexel or especially Louisville) would have made the difference.
I guess what I'm trying to say here is "The selection committee didn't screw Syracuse, Syracuse screwed Syracuse."

No comments: