Saturday, March 17, 2007

March Madness Friday Thoughts

Great snowy day for the tournament. The type of day when you can't do anything else except watch basketball for 12 hours. I'm glad our SUVs and factories warm the globe to 70-something on Wednesday, but got it cold in time for the tournament.

No 12-5 upset this year. I think that's only happened once before since the tournament went to 64.

I'm bitter because I had Illinois and they should have won but couldn't score for like the last 9 minutes. Virginia Tech scored the last 12 points to win by 2.

The top 20 seeds all won. And 26 of the top 28 (all 7s over 10s).

I am 16-0 in afternoon games 11-5 in the evening sessions. I still have 15 of 16 sweet 16 teams but I almost lost an Elite 8 team, but Nevada pulled through.

I can't stand the announce team of Packer and Nantz, and they are the number one team.

Ian Eagle is a pleasure though.

Some comeback by Wisconsin. They scored three times as many points in the second half (57) as they did in the first (19). But even when they were down 26-9 I didn't feel like they were going to lose. Not to Texas ATM-Corpus Crispy.

I didn't see one minute of the Tennessee - Long Beach State game but I can surmise two things. Rock Lloyd is not on LBSU anymore, and Bruce Pearl ran up the score.

New Mexico State put a scare into me, and Texas for that matter. I have them in the Final Four.

That was the best coaching Reggie Theus has done since "Hang Time." Evidently Anthony Anderson was 25 when he played Teddy.

Elijah Ingram starred for NMSU. He transferred from St. John's after he hired a hooker but refused to pay.

Pizza Parlor Derek also talks about players who have been in college forever. Curtis Sumpter really was a 6-year senior (I'm pretty sure) due to all his injuries. Now he's gone. And Mike Nardi too. Nardi was hurt or else Nova might have beaten Kentucky. He missed a couple open threes.

Right now I rank in the top 5.5% on ESPN, behind about 150,000 people. I check in at 27-5 over two days.

Not bad. But starting tomorrow the games are worth twice as much. The matchups get better. Even though there's half as many games Saturday and Sunday usually produce some great matchups. Look for one of the top 8 seeds to fall. I hope it's Memphis.

1 comment:

Ton said...

Thats funny, cuz I was watching New Mex...and I was telling Special K "see that guy?....He used to be anthony andersons coach on Hang Time. I've been an anthony anderson fan for like 10 years now!"