Tuesday, June 12, 2007

El Cesarito De La Hierba Buena

When good dogs go bad, one man is their best friend.

me and my best friend

No dog is too much for me to handle.

While walking Diesel in the park behind our house, I noticed a dog on the loose with no leash, and no owner. He was a big black dog, not long and skinny like Diesel, short and squat, like a barrel, with some white spots. He probably had lab in him, but he was definitely a mix. I immediately walked over to him to gauge his level of friendliness. Because he was also a male dog; he and Diesel got into a standoff. He peed; then Diesel went right to the same spot and peed on top of it. Then Diesel pooped and both dogs were trying to smell the poop while I was picking it up.

The dog was pretty good, he didn't run or attack, he was just on a leisurely stroll without his owner for once. But having a loose dog is never a good idea. Even if the dog is well behaved he could scare kids, or the miserable old people who live in our neighborhood. Or he could wander really far from home, or wander into the street. I definitely had to do something. I tried to read the dog’s tags, but he was wearing about four expired town registration tags, nothing with his name or address or phone number.

Once I judged him to be calm I took Diesel back to our house and got an extra leash. When I went back into the park the dog was waiting for us. He let me clip the leash on his collar and off the three of us went. At this point I had no idea what I was going to do. I hoped if I could walk them around long enough his owner would come looking for him. But I realized there was a possibility that I would have to bring him home at least temporarily while I called the town and tried to get the dog's address.

I had never walked two dogs simultaneously before and because we were forming a new pack; we were all jockeying to see who would be the pack leader. I got the two of them in line and we started walking, when I saw a frantic woman cutting across the park. She was far away but it was clear this was her dog. I brought them over to her and she thanked me profusely for finding her dog, Guinness. She said she had no idea how Guinness got out, she must have left the door open. She asked if I had the extra leash with me when I found Guinness, I said no that I went back home to get it and Guinness waited for me. As we were talking Guinness and Diesel briefly went after each other but I yanked on the leashes and settled them down. Then I gave the lady her dog back.

I rehabilitate dogs, I train people.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you left out the part where you peed on their pee to really establish the dominance.

BTW, would that work? If you have a dog, and occasionally go outside and just pee all over your own yard...would your own dog be like "damn...this guy's the boss"?