Monday, June 11, 2007

What An Ending!

Just a small town girl, livin in a lonely world
She took the midnight train goin anywhere


I'm furious, my TV went black for a few seconds at the very end of the episode. I missed the ending, it came back just in time for the credits.

Just a city boy, born and raised in south Detroit
He took the midnight train goin anywhere


During that last scene when everyone is meeting at the diner, my heart was beating so damn fast. I don't know if I was nervous that someone was going to get killed or because Meadow was having trouble parallel parking. I hate parallel parking.

A singer in a smoky room
A smell of wine and cheap perfume


I think a lot of people correctly predicted that Agent Harris would help Tony find Phil, but other than me, I can't remember anyone who so accurately (and so correctly) predicted that the series would end with the four Sopranos eating dinner.

The final scene, as I predicted it

For a smile they can share the night
It goes on and on and on and on


Phil's death was an awesome scene. I wish they would have shown his head smushing like in Braveheart.

Strangers waiting, up and down the boulevard
Their shadows searching in the night


I was pissed at AJ for being so irresponsible with his yellow Xterra. A yellow Xterra should be cherished. It's not for banging underage high school girls. Very disappointed in AJ.

Streetlight people, living just to find emotion
Hiding, somewhere in the night


But why am I bothering with this? All anyone wants to talk about is the ending right? I realize people are upset and think it sucked, but I actually liked it. I think it was a little bit of a "fuck you" from David Chase to the people who are constantly guessing, and trying to figure out the show. But I thought it was nice that there was no ending, just the family together, remembering the good times, like AJ said.

Working hard to get my fill,
Everybody wants a thrill
Payin anything to roll the dice,
Just one more time


Sopranos fans are going to drive themselves crazy trying to figure out how it ended. Did Tony flip and they were in or about to enter the witness protection program and that's why they were meeting a diner? A diner? Or did Tony get whacked and that's why the music stopped? There is no answer. There is no ending. As often happens with this show they drop a bunch of hints and never do anything with them. So if you are going to sit and try to construct the pieces of the episode to figure out what happened you're missing the point. And you are going to drive yourself crazy, because it's an unanswerable question.

Some will win, some will lose
Some were born to sing the blues
Oh, the movie never ends
It goes on and on and on and on


I thank the Sopranos for giving me 8 great years of enjoyable television. I don't think the fact that there was no ending means the show is coming back at some point, or that there will be a Sopranos movie. The ending shows that life goes on for the Sopranos, even if we don't get to see it.

Dont stop believin
Hold on to the feelin

4 comments:

Paul said...

For more Sopranos thoughts visit SCZA Nation and The Pizza Parlor.
And I think we all must have noticed the price of gas when Phil got shot. I commented to Mrs. Poop "look how long ago they shot this, gas was $2.49."

Brian said...

As someone who watched every single episode of the Sopranos, I thought the final episode was very good. The one liners were great, the sit down with New York turning on Phil, Agent Harris, the cat pissing off Paulie, the whole diner scene and the eventual fade to black.

Seriously guys.. if you were into this show from the beginning, this was classic Sopranos.

Anonymous said...

If the show had just ended with the 4 of them eating dinner and then the credits, that would have been fine. To have me and Mrs. Bates making phone calls to find out if the DVR malfunctioned proves what a douche Chase is. The screen going black was the ultimate FU to people like me that have seen every episode and watched religiously.

ton said...

Finally, I know what happened. Yeah, I'm 2 years and 2 months late, but I finally finished the last season.

Believe it or not, I've been planning to read this post the whole time. I originally skipped it completely, knowing that one day I'd actually finish watching it.