Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Boom Goes the Dynamite

Brian Collins never gave up on his dream

Back when I was at Syracuse studying to be a broadcast journalism major I took a class senior year that required us to basically put on a local news style newscast, rotating jobs on a weekly basis. The next day in class we would watch the newscasts and critique them. My most embarrassing moment came when someone left the script to a package we had just aired in the teleprompter.
So after we see the package, I think I'm moving on to the next story, but I'm actually reading the script of the story we just saw. After about 2 sentences I realized the error, stopped reading, smirked, chuckled, looked down through my scripts and tried to find the correct story. This lasted about 10 seconds. 10 seconds that the professor played about 10 times in class.
I may have deserved this ridicule because the previous week I had agitated for the professor to replay repeatedly a gaffe involving two girls who began speaking at the same time (neither one of them could be understood) then they both stopped for a few seconds, and started speaking again at the exact same time. So it sounded like this (fadsghasogheiuoghawioghdsghadsgfdsk - 5 second awkward pause - fhadsjahigiudwghadsgkjadsgadsgadsjfnask), until one of them stopped and the other continued reading.
All of this is goes to say that the first time I saw this now famous clip of Brian Collins doing sports for the campus station at Ball State University, yes I laughed heartily, but I also cried a little on the inside.



Thankfully, my embarrassing moment was not nearly as bad, nor was it put on the internet and viewed millions of times (even before youtube made viewing things millions of times so easy).
So it does my heart good to report to you that Brian "Boom Goes the Dynamite" Collins has put this sorry episode behind him and is now a news reporter in Waco, Texas.

But he still has a little work to do on his delivery.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How hard can this be? I mean, Ron Burgandy and the Fox News girls can do it...