Saturday, October 25, 2008

Weekly Picks

My first disaster last week. It happens, that's why they call it gambling. I did salvage the week winning 2 games and getting 1 point but using up a lot of luck in the process. A late safety pushed the Giants over the spread and a garbage touchdown gave me the Seahawks. There are a lot of juicy games this week but sometimes those games look good but kill you in the long run. I have added incentive this week as I am making the picks for Papa Poop this week because he is on a cruise. He has 7 points so far this year so anything I give him would be gravy as he insists on not trying to play for last place (which pays about $300). By the way, the pool's current leader is Brother-in-law Derick with 26 points, my total would be good for second place so far.

tampa bay +2 DALLAS
I can't believe Dallas is favored over anyone right now. They are in absolute shambles right now. And the Bucs are a damn good team. And a team not prone to mistakes. I thought Brad Johnson could come in and steady the team but that didn't happen last week and I don't think it will happen this time either.

atlanta +9 PHILADELPHIA
I don't get this spread either. I know a lot of bookmaking is based on reputation and not necessarily the results on the field. But so far this season you'd probably have to say the Falcons are the better team. Even if you want to give the Eagles, three points, I could see it, maybe even a touchdown, but 9 points? That makes no sense to me.

TENNESSEE -3 1/2 indianapolis
Last week I made the mistake of thinking the Colts were back. I learned better. But my whole philosophy of picking is that teams don't perform the same way every week. But I really love the way the Titans are playing and I think they are well-positioned to exploit the Colts' biggest weakness, specifically trouble on the offenseive line.

NEW ENGLAND -7 1/2 st. louis
Maybe New England woke up out of their slumber and Matt Cassel figured it out and gained some confidence Monday Night. Or maybe the Rams have completely turned their season around under Jim Haslett and will win this game for their third straight win, all of which were against playoff teams from last year.

BEST BET
buffalo -1 1/2 MIAMI

I know the Dolphins legitimately have some life to them, especially as compared to last year. And I know their Wildcat offense is supposedly unstoppable. But have you looked at the records? The Bills are 5-1 and they are a damn good team. Trent Edwards is playing great, and not making mistakes and they are finding ways to win. Division games are always tough but I think the Bills will win this one.

Last week: 2-3 (1 point)
Season: 20-15 (25 points)
Best Bets: 0-1 (6-1)
Home Favorites: 1-0 (7-5)
Home Underdogs: 0-0 (2-0)
Road Favorites: 0-3 (6-4)
Road Underdogs: 1-0 (5-5)
Road Pickems: 0-0 (0-1)

No comments: