Friday, November 14, 2008

Changes

I got laid off yesterday. Originally, I wasn't going to write about this here, but decided I can't be honest for the next four months without explaining what happened.
The only thing I ask is that no one make any mention of the name of my former employer or any specifics about what I do or places I should be looking. Anything like that or any other questions or comments can be addressed in private e-mails.
My employer was cutting back and given my time at the company (more than 8 years) my salary was much higher than other people at my position, making me a prime candidate for a cutback.
I'm not bitter or angry about what happened, but I'm mad at myself that I let them catch me before I left. I'd been pretty unhappy there for the last year or so and knew this was a possibility. The fact that I wasn't proactive enough really kills me.
I have 16 weeks of full pay to find a new job, and if I can there's a good chance I can find a job with improvement in one of the following areas: better chance for advancement, more fun, better hours and the chance to work in sports possibly.
Sure there are a lot of ways this situation could turn out very poorly, but I'm ignoring those for now.
Thanks for all your kind words and support.

As for the Poop, I fear this will have a negative impact on this blog. First of all, being at my old job was a great easy source of material, and now I'll have to work a little harder. Also, I won't have as much downtime, because the free time I have now will be filled with Chase and Mrs. Poop. But hopefully you'll keep reading and I'll still come up with interesting stories to tell.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is definitely deserving of the label 'yikes'...but The Poop is strong, The Poop is wise....The Poop will rise again!

Anonymous said...

Yeah I'm really sorry to hear this, but I have no doubt it'll work out in the end. Best regards.

Scott said...

Yesterday was truly Black Thursday... at least 12 people I know, some in media, some out lost their jobs, including a number of Syracuse brethren... SCZA will keep his eyes and ears open. Shoot me an e-mail with some specifics.

Anonymous said...

keep ya head up poop...

Unknown said...

Im sorry to hear about this. If there's anything that I can do to help please let me know...