Thursday, December 29, 2005

The End of Marbury?

Last night Stephon Marbury took only 7 shots from the field, missing them all and scoring only 5 points in a loss to Orlando. He had 3 assists and no steals. During the game Mike Breen and Johnny Hoops commented that it seemed as if he had gone into a funk and refused to shoot. This spurred a war of words between Marbury and Coach Brown after the game:

Coach Brown: "I think he just didn't want to shoot the ball. I thought he'd have 15, 20 assists. To me, by accident you can get a steal, that shows maybe you weren't real aggressive defensively."

Marbury: "I wasn't aggressive on defense?" To which he added that he was guarding a bigger man, Grant Hill.
"I had confidence in my shot, whenever I shoot the ball, I have confidence in my shot. Tonight I was just trying to do everything that Coach wanted me to do as far as running the team."

If this were baseball the Knicks would trade him for a bag of balls. But in basketball they will get a rack of balls. As soon as Zeke finds a taker Marbury will be shipped out of town. And hopefully the Knicks will experience the same turnaround all his ex-teams experienced after he left.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Marbury, Shareef, and Steve Francis are all just good enough to make you think you can compete with them, but if they are your best player, you're in the lottery 9 times out of 10. Marbury in particular is the worst - shoot first point guard living off of a reputation from high school.