Friday, December 23, 2005

Weekly Picks

After my first losing week of the season I rebounded in fine form last week with a 5-2 record, bringing my season tally to 39-22. Thanks to Brett Favre's horrid performance, Adam and Harley are now tied for first. One point back there is a 2-way tie for 3rd. So basically there are four teams in it, one will win ($1300), one will come in second ($600), third ($300) and one loser will come in fourth ($0). Adam is fond of saying the next two weeks will decide. I think we will decide. And Decision 2006 starts now.

CHIEFS -1.5 chargers: After their most impressive victory last week, how can you not like San Diego to win the game. Kansas City got hot at home, then went on the road and lost to Dallas and New York. They are a much different team at home. But I still cannot pick against the better team in what amounts to a pick'em game. I think San Diego avoids the letdown and prays for Jacksonville or Pittsburgh to lose (not bloody likely).

TEXANS +6.5 jaguars: Houston has become such a quandry. They won last week, so does that mean they didn't throw the 3 previous games? If so they have played four decent games in a row but have no idea how to close it out. I'm pretty sure Jacksonville won't let this one get away so the question becomes can David Garrard lead this team to enough points to win by a touchdown. Remembering my overriding NFL theory (no team is as good or as bad as they looked last week) I'll guess that Jacksonville musters 24 points and covers.

PANTHERS -5.5 cowboys: Dallas got their asses kicked last week, but they are still one of four 8-6 teams in the NFC that can make the playoffs with two straight wins and a little luck. Carolina has been maddeningly inconsistent all year. I don't expect a Parcells team in the playoff race to lay down and die two weeks in a row. That means this will be a close game so why not take Dallas and the points?

CARDINALS -1.5 eagles: Arizona really let me down last week. I can't believe they lost to Houston. Philadelphia has played gamely since that destruction at the hands of Seattle on Monday night. I'm giving Arizona one more chance because Josh McCown is over the flu and schedule to start. But if John Navarre becomes the starter between now and game time then change this pick to Philadelphia.

BRONCOS -13.5 raiders: Oakland is dead. Denver will kill them.

BUCCANEERS -3.5 falcons: Tampa Bay got deeeeeeeestroyed by New England last week. Pro Bowl quarterback Michael Vick look awful against Chicago. One of these teams will bounce back. I think it will be Tampa Bay. I really hate Mike Vick, almost as much as Favre.

SAINTS -3.5 lions: Joey Harrington is back to starting for Detroit. That makes it pretty easy to pick New Orleans.

No comments: