Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Japanese Ballplayers Say the Darndest Things

My favorite thing about the influx of Japanese and Chinese athletes is the way their quotes are often translated into very proper, flowing English. The way I would like to speak if I thought people would understand me.

Dice-K will make his home debut Wednesday against the Seattle Mariners, meaning the first batter he will face will be Ichiro Suzuki. Several million Japanese will stop whatever they are doing at 9 am Thursday morning to watch this at bat. It will be the most watched program on Japanese TV since Jerry Seinfeld appeared on Super Terrific Happy Hour.

In the past Ichiro has batted only .235 in 34 at bats against Dice-K, and Dice-K was still young. Ichiro says he is looking forward to renewing their rivalry.

"I hope he arouses the fire that's dormant in the innermost recesses of my soul. I plan to face him with the zeal of a challenger."

No comments: