Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Penultimate Sopranos

The best Sopranos episode in years, though I think the whole season has been very consistent at a high level.

One of the funniest moments in Sopranos history


A few weeks ago, I wrote that I thought some of the ancillary characters would get killed, leaving Tony with his family. Since then, Christophuh, Bacala and Sil all died (Sil's as good as dead).

I'm sorry the Bobby Bacala era is over. I guess it's the first part of letting go of a show I have enjoyed for so long. I knew they were going to kill him, and I'm not sad that they did, I just miss him already. He really broke onto the scene in the Pine Barrens episode, but then Steven Schirripa became the real life incarnation of Bacala. He made appearances promoting "The Goomba's Guide to Dating," saying things like "Do steal a kiss; don't steal her purse" and "Do open the car door for your date; don't open the car trunk for your date." He became a force of nature. And his popularity actually led to his increased role on the show, marrying Janice and punching Tony in this season's opener.

As far as I was concerned I never really enjoyed Sil. I didn't mind him, his jaw, his hair, his suits, but he was never funny like Pauli and he never drove the action of the show like Chrissy.

Frank Vincent is an all-time great villain. This storyline wouldn't have worked nearly as well if Johnny Sac (played by Vincent Curatolo) were still around.

AJ is such a pathetic piece of shit.

Great cameo by Jets Coach Eric Mangini.

The Man-Genius is here

I can't wait for the final episode, but I never want it to come. I want to see how it ends, but I never want it to finish.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

RIP Bobby Bacala

Anonymous said...

So does Tony live or die? I say he lives

Paul said...

to be clear...tony lives, last scene is him with Meadow, AJ and Carm

Anonymous said...

That is a good call...I am going to go with him and Dr. Melfi

Anonymous said...

Why can't Carmela find out that Adrianna was killed by orders of her beloved husband, freak out then take her kids and move on, while Tony moves to Vegas and a year later over doses on heroin or acid (if thats possible).
I was going to put up a tribute to Bobby, but given it another week..

Anonymous said...

Could NEVER stand the Melfi sessions and AJ continuously gets on my nerves