Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Words You Should Know

Houghton-Mifflin unveiled a list of words everybody should know, basically if you know these words and can use them correctly you are pretty damn smart.

I must admit there were about 10 that I didn't really know. But there were another 20 or so that I use very frequently:

chicanery - best when used in conjunction with tomfoolery, hijinks and antics
churlish - I get truculent when people call me churlish
circumlocution - talking in circles
deleterious - Not knowing these words has a deleterious effect on your intelligence
facetious - I'm often being facetious
feckless - I can't effectively explain this one
gauche - This word is not great for people
hypotenuse - important when discussing the Pythagorean Theorem
incognito - my preferred mode
incontrovertible - everything I say
lugubrious - You want to impress me? Spell lugubrious
nihilism - I don't believe in this word
paradigm - I love to change the para dig em
photosynthesis - chlorophyll, more like bore-ophyll
supercilious - I like being super silly without us
vacuous - all the hot chicks you read about on this blog

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Circumlocution is a favorite word of Mrs. Bates