Thursday, June 07, 2007

Am I Stronger Than Kevin Durant?

Back when I was at the height of my powers, probably before we got Diesel, I dove into working out and actually became pretty strong. I never did the bench press but I'm pretty sure I could have done one rep at 185 pounds.
Which is more than I can say for Kevin Durant. He reportedly couldn't even do one rep at 185, despite being 6-10 and 190 lbs. 190? That's way too skinny which is why the report is probably true.
Now I agree that bench press is not essential to playing basketball, and his long arms make it difficult, but the bench press is a good indicator of overall strength, which means Durant will probably get pushed around in the NBA if he doesn't bulk up. Even the 6-6 small forwards are 220.

Too skinny, that rap has dogged me for years

4 comments:

Scott said...

I warm up at 185, that's scary. But the longer the arms, the harder it is to lift. Back in my father's bodybuilding glory years, I used to go to a lot of bench press contests and the oafs with the short stumpy arms (and copious back zits) always won. Shorter distance to lift. Still, Durant HAS to be able to do 185, he looks like he's got some muscle on there. I don't get it.

Anonymous said...

Could he do a pushup?

Anonymous said...

I almost just fell out of my chair reading the comment someone posted as me. We should have a push up contest

D said...

I wouldn't worry about hm bulking up at all. After this embarrassment, he's probably already hiring a trainer.

And long, gangly arms suck ass when trying to bench press. Trust me.