Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Butterfly Effect

They say if a butterfly flaps its wings in Australia it can cause a snowstorm in the U.S. I know now this to be true. Plus I saw the movie.

The following is a true story about how an innocent comment about recycling led to me spilling Vitamin Water on the seat of my car:

It all started two weeks ago when I forgot to bring the pail around on recylcing day meaning we had a 4 week buildup of what our town calls "comingle" (plastic bottles and metal cans).

Digression: we drink a lot of beverages that come in individual containers. Mrs. Poop drinks a lot of bottled water and seltzer and flavored water and I drink a lot of Coke (though I'm down to one can per day). Which reminds me that ever since I posted requesting that Poopheads send me your Coke Rewards points not one of you assholes has sent me even a single code. That's gratitude for you!

Then Mrs. Poop told me one day that if you put bottles in the recycling with the caps on, they can't be recycled because the plastic in the caps is different. So you have to be sure to remove the caps before you recycle something.

This Tuesday, so I wouldn't forget I brought the recycling pail around to the front of the house early in the evening.

But I forgot that there were still several cans and bottles on the kitchen counter. Because of Mrs. Poop's nasty habit of calling me a douche when I forget to do something, as I noticed the recyclable items on my way out the door on the way to work, I threw them in a plastic bag and brought them outside. But my hands were full so I decided to go the car first to put my stuff down.

And because it was such a cold night I figured I might as well start the car while I had it open. But in order to put the key in the ignition I had to put the bag of recylables on the front seat. When I picked up the bag, a bottle of Vitamin Water (from which I had just removed the cap before I left the house) which still had a little bit of liquid in the bottom, fell out of the bag and onto the seat.

After dropping off the items I sat down and felt a wet spot. The spillage from the Vitamin Water had left a small but noticeable puddle of grape smelling fliud on my seat. I had to retrieve one of Diesel's dog towels from the back to put on the seat while I drove. Believe it or not, the density of the towel threw off my equilibrium and I had to readjust all the mirrors and I kept hitting my knee on the steering wheel.

And it was all Mrs. Poop's fault!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For once you decide to take them out promptly and I forgot to rinse out one bottle and throw the cap away. And this becomes my fault????