Thursday, February 09, 2006

Ask The Concierge

The Concierge,
How many pairs of white sweat socks do you think I need? I wear dress socks to work but always change into sweat socks when I get home. Also some days I wear two pairs, if I run or workout in the morning, I'll shower and put on a fresh pair. My wife usually does the laundry within two weeks at the latest, does that mean 14 pairs, 20 pairs, 28?


Please advise
Sweaty Feet
Tacoma, Washington



Sweaty Feet,
At least 28 - what are you crazy? What about low rise socks, medium rise, kenyon style? Sweat socks wear out. You need at least 28 pairs. I would also recommend keeping at least 6 pairs out of the athletic rotations, one always wants some solid pairs for weekend jaunts. Also, keep some brand new pairs for risky undertakings because one would not want to be caught dead in worn out socks. Corpses are gross enough, no need to compound it with skeavy socks.

Remember, athletic socks get dirty and stained. You always want some that are in good shape in general.

Unfortunately, the problem with most socks is that you buy a whole lot when you find ones you like, but by the time you go back to get new ones, the model is no longer sold or they have changed the style to include an offending feature. I have been struggling to find new black cotton work socks since Century 21 stopped carrying Pierre Cardin socks, which were over 80% cotton. One cannot wear socks less than 80% natural materials and keep his feet healthy. I have tried all different kinds since then. Many are too thin. Other thick ones such as "Weatherproof" socks are terrible, they are made for people with tooth pick sized calves. If I don't fold them down, my foot falls asleep.

In sum, there is no hard and fast number to prescribe, but you need to choose an amount in light of your life goals and always remember "Try and keep your feet dry. When we're out humpin', I want you boys to remember to change your socks whenever we stop."

The Concierge

1 comment:

Ton said...

I agree about having a random pair not in the rotation. I'm often searching for a pair of matching socks that dont have a 'random' off white color stain on em, for when I go over peoples houses.