Monday, February 06, 2006

I Am the Champion

Thanks to my pick of Pittsburgh, I have won my yearlong Matchsticks pool and the $1200 first prize. It was a long and arduous season but I dominated as soon as I got back from the honeymoon (started the season with two rough while making picks from Hawaii and Las Vegas). I even bragged about my standing at the annual pizza party midseason, and avoided the kibosh despite that. I got three of four best bets during the playoffs including the Super Bowl.
If Seattle had scored a garbage touchdown to make it 21-17, I would have won due to a push. Had they scored the touchdown and the 2-point conversion I still would have won, because I would have been closer to the point total.

But here is the final post of the season:
"All hail to the victor as this year we pay tribute to Cannon920 who came through big time just when he needed it the most. He could have easily folded under the intense pressure of trying to hang on to the slimmest of leads, but instead reached down for a major gut check and made the biggest pic of his matchstick career. Great job and congrats from us all!!!"

While the rest of my crew (my father, brother, his father-in-law and brother-in-law, my brother-in-law, his cousin and mike) had good runs none of them kept it up through the end. Some of you have expressed interest in participating next year so I'll go over the rules again.

$125 entry fee for the whole year.
You make 5 picks per week. 4 games are 1 or 0. The fifth game is your best bet, worth 2 or -1. There is $1 per week from every person entered into the perfect 6 pool, which goes to whomever gets the perfect 6 that week (its more rare than you might think). About 55 people were in it this year, and I hope more of you will join next year. If you think you might be interested write a comment in this post to that effect. I will review this post in August and contact those interested parties.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would definitely be interested in joining up next year. E-mail Shawn at Srj211@aol.com

Paul, I'm a friend of Scott Isaacs in case you were wondering who I am. I know Derek as well.. I kid Scott all the time that your blog entertains me more than his... actually I'm not really kidding him.

Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Its time to admit that Diesel has been making your picks all year