Friday, April 07, 2006

Mets 10 Nationals 5

There seems to be an interest in discussing the Mets on this blog. Perhaps 162 game recaps will prove to be excessive (especially since few of you read over the weekend) but for now I will try to post at least some thoughts about every game. Because of the magnitude of last night's events I've posted my comments about Beltran under a separate headline.

Jose Guillen: Fuck Jose Guillen.

Pedro Martinez: I'm glad he pitches inside and doesn't care about a potential ejection. With his reduced velocity he needs to own the inside part of the plate. I do remember a similar situation where the Mets batters were hit a few (maybe 4) times in a series, and if memory serves me, Turk Wendell was the pitcher. He tried to hit a batter on the other team (Cubs?) and missed, but got ejected. So they hit four of us, we got none of them, but our pitcher was still ejected. So I can understand why the Nationals were pissed. In fact, I don't even have a problem with Guillen walking to the mound. It's part of the game, as long as he doesn't hit anyone with the bat. On to Pedro's pitching. I was discouraged that he falls into the Glavine trap of giving up a lead as soon as we get it. Other than that I think he pitched ok.

Anderson Hernandez: Not ready for the majors. 1 for 30 in the majors. I know he is playing great defense but he can't get a bunt down. If we keep him up and he continues to struggle like this his confidence will be destroyed and he'll never amount to anything. He needs more seasoning in the minors.

Carlos Beltran: More than the home run, I was encouraged that he was able to get runners home with an out, twice.

David Wright: Just awesome.

Carlos Delgado: So far, he's been exactly what we needed.

Duaner Sanchez: Same for him, so far, so good.

2 comments:

Mike said...

159 more recaps are going to kill me. The season is not a sprint but a marathon. Weekly recaps would be better.

Anonymous said...

I like the recaps.