Tuesday, September 23, 2008

We'll Cross That Bridge When We Come To It

I know we're getting ahead of ourselves but here's an interesting question the Mets may need to address this weekend. If things remain the same and the Mets are still one game ahead of the Brewers going into Sunday with Johan Santana scheduled to pitch, what should the Mets do?
Should they hold him back, hoping they can win without him or hoping the Brewers lose? If they did that and it worked Santana could go in Game 1 of the Division Series. And worst case scenario you'd have him for a 1-game playoff.
Or you could pitch him Sunday in his regular spot and hope he wins, but you wouldn't be able to use him again until Game 3 of the NLDS.

Judging by this team's play, I'd still go with him on Sunday and worry about the NLDS once we get there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd hold him back Sunday with a 1 game lead. If disaster occurs and you have a 1 game playoff, they can use him against the Brewers.

I'm just terrified by the Mets trying to match up with the Cubs on non-Santana days, and I want him for games 1 and 5. I think they'd have a legitimate shot to take that series by winning 1 of the 3 other games, but otherwise I'm not optimistic.

And I don't want to see Pedro getting the ball even once.

Anonymous said...

I would have Santana start every game remaining in the regular season, until and if we clinch.