Thursday, September 25, 2008

You Have Reached The Mets Fan Suicide Hotline

Mets Nation is in panic right now as the number of calls, e-mails and texts I've seen from fans who hate this team, are never watching again or are planning to commit suicide is at a shockingly high rate right now.
Back in 1999, I read a great article about what it's like to be a Mets fan. I believe it was called "Metaphysics and the Mets."
The article detailed all the heartache the Mets have put their fans through over the years and why 1999 was going to end in the same painful fashion.
But the last line said (I'm quote from memory here) "But I think this year is different, we may just win this thing."
I thought it was perfect.
That's what its like to be a Mets fan, to be have your hopes built up so high, only to have them dashed.
And then be given a little bit more hope. And have it dashed one more time.
The best example of this is last year, when the Mets lost 5 in a row as part of the great collapse of all-time. But on that last day, with hope barely alive, the Mets won 13-0 and John Maine almost pitched a no-hitter.
With Pedro Martinez on the mound and no starter announced for Saturday, things don't look good this time around.
But we've still got Wright, Reyes, Delgado and Johan, so maybe we can win this thing.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

If Mets fans need any help ending the pain, I'm just a phone call away.

Anonymous said...

yes we have wright ... hopefully just not at bat with a MAN ON THIRD AND NOBODY OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Timo Perez is not walking through that door! Mike Bordick is not walking through that door!

Anonymous said...

Ryan Church looks injured when he has been at plate lately.

Anonymous said...

I'm going tonight in what I fear is my last ever trip to Shea. Can someone explain to me why Omar Minaya just got a 4 year extension??

Anonymous said...

Silly Damino.

Why did Omar get an extension? Because he went out and locked up Luis Castillo for 4 years! I mean, what a brilliant baseball move. There were so many teams out there (Yanks, Sox, Dodgers just to name a few) that were offering Luis 3 year deals, Omar went the extra mile and locked him for that 4th year! You know, slap hitting "singles" hitters who hobble around and are lazy and a bad influence on your young star shortstop don't grow on trees!

*kills self*