Monday, November 28, 2005

Debate Delgado

Hey Mets fans, what do you think of the Delgado trade?
Here's my thinking: So many players have come to the Mets and done poorly, that we can't assume it's just coincidence. I think that Delgado may be one of those players susceptible to the Mets jinx for several reasons:
1) Shea Stadium is rough on power hitters
2) Mets fans have no patience, and will be more likely to boo him because of his stance (or lack thereof) on God Bless America
3) I don't know if he wants to be here. If he did he could have signed last year. But Carlos told El Nuevo Dia that those issues are in the past.

When El Nuevo Dia asked if he were worried about playing in Flushing, which the newspaper described as a graveyard for Puerto Rican players, citing Roberto Alomar and Carlos Beltran, Delgado said: "Everybody has different personal situations. I am going with a positive attitude and the best spirit to do my work. What happened in the past with whomever is a thing of the past. I am going to play ball, and to play hard all the time. ... We recognize the expectations are big, but one can only do what he can. I want to do my work and take the things little by little as they come. The fans are impassioned for the sport and its players. They're people who know the industry and demand (a lot). They are there to see the game and I am there to produce. I am going to try to do the best possible, regardless of what happens."

So post your comments on the trade.

2 comments:

Dan said...

Not a huge fan of the trade, but considering the Mets lack of left handed power it makes sense. Also, I more concerned about team chemistry over anything else, especially if they also acquire Manny. These two personas might not mesh with the team, media and fan base.

Mike said...

The team had great chemistry last year and they sucked. Good move to get a guy that will hit .300 and drive in 110 RBIs. Jacobs can't do that...