Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Truth and Rumors

Here is a disturbing trend in America:
1% of people believe what they read in the newspaper
25% believe what they see on TV
50% believe the Bible should be taken literally
99% believe everything they read on the Internet

A friend of Kate's was worried that Swiffer WetJet was going to kill her dog. She didn't clean her floors for months until I was able to find her proof that it wasn't true.

Yesterday my mom e-mailed me the story about Tommy Hilfiger going on Oprah and saying he didn't want black people to wear his clothes and then Oprah threw him off the set. This never happened!!!!

This story has been around so long that I heard it when I was still in college. I was told that a class was discussing the issue and a girl suggested a boycott of Tommy Hilfiger clothes. Jason Hart said "I'm going to keep wearing my jacket, it's cold outside." That probably never happened either.
This story is so old that it was first told 25 years ago and the first person hearing it said "who the hell is Oprah Winfrey?"

No comments: