Monday, April 17, 2006

One Good Thing I Did

Although my advice has helped Master Bates' fantasy team into an 0-2 hole to start the season, I did some impressive drafting when I was pressed into duty. Chris Shelton and Brad Hawpe were both late round pickups. Unfortunately, we didn't start Shelton in week 1, and we didn't use Hawpe in either of the first two weeks. But hopefully with the emergence of first round pick Rickie Weeks, the Outsiders will be set with three good young players for many years to come.
Chris Shelton is awesome. 8 home runs in 12 games. That's better than Babe Ruth. The only guy as good as him is Albert Pujols. From now on, I will celebrate Easter. But instead of remembering what Jesus supposedly did, I will commemorate the day Albert Pujols hit three homers including a walk-off game winner.
Travis Hafner has 7 home runs. A few years ago I went to a card show with Mike, who picked Adam Dunn on my advice. For $1 each I bought two Travis Hafners and a Jake Peavy rookie. The Hafners are $8 each now. I also bought a 7 card lot of Hafner cards for about $15. I went back and looked at them now because one of the cards is worth $40 and the other is $25, but unfortunately neither is in great condition. One is way off-center and the other has a bad corner.
Anyway, I went shopping for Chris Shelton cards on eBay, and I found his 2004 Bowman Chrome rookie is selling for about $15, about 3 times it's book value.

No comments: